Life After School

Scholarships & Financial Support

Financing your time after school is an important thing to consider.


If you plan to study there are a whole lot of scholarships available for rural students. Here are some places to start looking.

Government assistance

Government financial assistance, or Centrelink, is also available to some students. There are many types of financial support:

  • Youth Allowance is financial support for students or apprentices who are 24 years or younger, or 21 years or younger and searching for work.
  • Austudy is financial support for students or apprentices who are 25 years or older.
  • ABSTUDY is financial support for students or apprentices who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
  • Rent assistance is a fortnightly extra payment if you are paying rent and also receiving certain other financial supports (such as Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY).
  • Fare allowance assists with travel costs between your home and place of study.
  • Student Start-Up Loans are available to students studying full time who are receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY.
  • Relocation Scholarships are annual payments if you receive Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY and move either to or from a regional or remote area for higher education.
  • A Health Care Card is given to anyone on Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY. A Health Care Card allows you to receive discounts on stuff like public transport, movie tickets, medication and utilities.
Managing your money

Managing money is not always something we are taught in school and it’s a pretty essential skill for moving out of home. So here are some money management resources if you feel you need some tips:

Stories & advice

Applying for scholarships

Life after school

Not Sure
Gap Year
Join the Workforce
Defence Force Australia
Apprenticeships & Traineeships
Interships & Volunteering
Making the Move
Scholarships & Financial Support